Thursday, April 10, 2014

9 month Follow-Up - and what I've learned

I had my 9 month follow-up appointment today. I went by myself, because I wanted to make sure I really talked one-on-one with the RN that I've been seeing for my follow-ups (Rose). And what I had been "fearing most" came true - I had only lost 2-3 pounds in the past 3 months. How, you ask? Lack of exercise, too many carbs, falling into bad habits like grazing (sorta) and emotional eating and/or out of boredom. We talked about all these things, and a few others, and of course realizing these things is half the battle. Now I've just got to kick my butt into gear and get back to walking, to the gym, to whatever. Get back to protein! I have been craving Special K lately, which is all well and good, except...not protein. They have a Special K Protein, but it's not the same as having a piece of chicken. When I eat dinner, it's generally just meat...and maybe something on the side, if I can eat it (like a little bit of potato, pasta, veg.).

I have been severely slacking on my protein.

So, anyway, now that I'm this far out, here's some of the things that I've learned:

1. It will pass. My hair thinning stabilized and I believe it's growing back. There are still times I eye my wigs optimistically, wishing I was able to put them on with better results, but I don't feel embarrassed about my hair anymore.

2. It will pass. The things they say you can't do - for example, gulp things, or eat fast - you can do. Gulping liquids I have done and do do on a semi-regular basis. Eating fast I do do as well - but that you pay for, and you know it. But you don't end up having to eat at a snail's pace if you don't want - just be cognizant of the fact that it's an "at your own risk" situation.

3. Exercise. You need it, I need it. It's a major reason a lot of us sleevers ended up in this situation! So get off your derriere and get moving! Walking is especially good.

4. Stop making excuses. I can make an excuse for anything it seems - having a broken finger to deal with for the past 2 months or so has been difficult. Dave having lost my keytag for Planet Fitness made going to the gym...complicated. So, I haven't been to the gym in quite some time.

And there are other things, of course, that I can't think of off the top of my head. But there are other "exciting" details to get on to -

I have been working on making some friends in my area. It's been...mildly successful? Anyway, one of the ladies I've made friends with recently had an Roux-En-Y gastric bypass surgery. I don't know if she has a full program with the doctor she did it with, but it doesn't seem like it. She's only a few months out and kind of eating whatever she wants. She's had alcohol, and soda. And I'm like O_O whaaaaaaaaaaat. I've been absolutely 'straight edge hard core' about that. In my mind, there was the one year ban. So I'm wondering how she's doing it. I'm worried about her a little, and I talk to her about my journey, so I'm helping I can be a positive support for her.

Additionally, something that's been stressing me out (other than everything? lolz) is that I'm starting up as an official crafter again, with my spanky rebooted Etsy shop. Which you can check out here: The Salvaged Soiree. Buy something, huh? I do crafts for stress relief - though lately I'm so stressed just trying to figure out what people like! But you can only make so many pairs of earrings for yourself. Trust me. I have over 100 pairs of earrings, and I think maybe two of those are ones I've made. Hence, selling! Somebody gets to have something pretty, my crafting is validated, and the money goes toward crafting...more... Pretty much, yeah.

Easter is coming up shortly - a little bit of drama with that, but it is what it is. I will just be happy to see my parents and spend time with my mom. And dye eggs. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment