Friday, March 29, 2013

Review: Protein Bars

So, I thought I would start doing some food reviews, since lord knows I am trying tons of new and different things to see how they do. So I'll do this review on protein bars - and I'm sure I will do one also on different protein drinks (or similarly vitamined/superpowered drinks) and protein powders and etc. There's a lot of new things I'm going to be introducing into my diet, so I'm definitely going to need to keep track - and why not share my experience with everyone else? Yup.

The main things I look for in a protein bar is that (a) should have a palatable consistency (I hate when they're gooey/fudgy and feel like play-doh in my mouth); (b) should be yummy; and (c) hopefully be relatively inexpensive. Now I know C is going to be the hardest, but A&B are my current actual concerns.

MET-Rx Protein Plus Bar: Chocolate Chocolate Chunk
So, pretty quickly you're going to realize a very real trend - I love chocolate. Which is going to be a slight problem, so where I can, I am sneaking it in like gangbusters. So, I thought, hey, check this out! Butt-tons of protein, and a wad of chocolate? Heck yeah man!

Heck. No. Man.

It tasted decent - definitely filled my chocolate quota. The consistency was ok, not great but not dreadful. However, this had me running to the bathroom faster than you could shake a stick. Remember that butt tons of protein? Butt tons. So, this is by far not a do-over for me.


Lenny & Larry's Muscle Brownie: Triple Chocolate
 Ok, so here's another one. Now, this one was pretty damn amazing. I really loved the texture (it was a brownie - but not so fudgy as you would think you would get as the fudgyness of a regular brownie combined with the play-doh-y-ness of a protein bar). I liked this so much that I would definitely buy a box of these in bulk to have as my dessert or one of my snacks that I'll allot myself in the day.








Special K Protein Meal Bar: Double Chocolate, Strawberry, Chocolate Chip
So, I have tried a goodly amount of these flavors - I believe the only flavor they have that I have not tried is the chocolate peanut butter, because I don't like peanut butter. (Cue the obligatory "you don't like peanut butter?!?!" comments.) I have actually LOVED these for a long, long time. I used and continue to use them regularly for diets and general breakfasts. They are relatively inexpensive, very easy to find, and tasty. They have a nice crunchy texture, the flavor is fantastic, and...yeah. They meet and exceed all of my concerns, which makes them a standby and consistent favorite. (I also love their protein shakes - but that's for another day, another post.)

That's all I can think of and/or have recently had. I will make this a recurring thing, unless people tell me to bugger off. In which case, I will only cease under violent protest! So if you want me to stop, make sure you break out some sort of pitchfork or other medieval farming implement, kthx <3.

No comments:

Post a Comment