Monday, July 15, 2013

Officially Return to Work Date

I'm officially set to return to work this Wednesday, for half days Wed/Thurs/Fri. I heard back from the nurse late in the day when I called her last week, and I'm hoping I'll be ok. I will be back to work one day shy of my 3 weeks, but I think I'll be ok. I may try and do a clear liquid diet on Wednesday so I'll be "safe" and shouldn't expect any stomach upheaval. I'm not terribly concerned about getting carsick with the commute, since it will only be about 30 minutes.

I've forgotten/gotten over the fact that I will probably never have this much time off from work for the rest of my life. Thankfully, Life has interceded and kicked that right into the corners of my mind.

I'm a tad concerned about some "firefighting" I'm going to have to do when I get back, but I don't think it's anything I can't handle, as long as I take my time. I think the half days will be really helpful in that regard. I've checked my work email a few times and responded to things that I can, but clearly I'm going to need to make a to-do list when I get back to accomplish things that I said I would do when I got back, such as ordering rip-rap, taking care of county tax bills, and sorting out invoice complications.

There's a good chance I haven't said what my job is before. I am an office assistant, and though my pay grade and place on the official totem pole is pretty low (with the low salary...*fume*), my actual place is pretty high within my section. I am the primary/only person who does purchasing, and the primary person who does payroll. There are ways other people in my section can do it, but it would be such a clusterf-- that it wouldn't be worth it at all. As it was, the last payroll was really touch-and-go, even with me doing as much preparation beforehand to get things to go smoothly. Oh well - when people don't take my instructions/help/advice seriously, then it's out of my hands. I know I will still catch flak for it, but that's nothing new. It's always easier to blame someone else, especially subordinates who have no redress.

Meh, meh. Work is not so hot to go back to, but I know I'm valued by those who matter, and have friends there, so I can do it! I CAN DO IT! *puffs out chest and fist pump to try and pysch self up*

No comments:

Post a Comment