Monday, August 19, 2013

Cravings and camping

I have been having some serious cravings and hunger pangs lately. Thankfully, I have scoured the internet to find things better for me - like a crustless pumpkin pie that has 6g of protein by itself for a 1/8 slice, not including protein powder - but still. The problem is I'm a good cook and a better baker, so I'm like, heck yeah I'll make some pie/cookies/etc! So it's not like I have oreos sitting in the house - it's that I'll make something that's not so hot for myself. I think half of it is that it's been more recently, and I should be getting my period soon, but still. Gotta cut it out!!

Also, I've been bemoaning/depressed about the fact that I can't afford a vacation (and almost always desperately need one, since my mechanisms for dealing with stress are poor to say the least). It kind of came to a "point" where I had a serious discussion with Dave about finances last week, since I have a regular 9-5 (8-4) job and he is a contractor that almost exclusively works weekends. Being a contractor, his work is highly irregular, and so is the money. I know he's got my back emotionally, mentally, and physically, but I also need him to have it financially, so that I don't have a nervous breakdown worrying about money, especially if there's an unexpected expense that comes up.

I've been wanting us to go to New Orleans over Halloween and November 2nd, because (A) I LOVE Halloween, and I'm sure there are so many amazing things to do in that city for the holiday, and (B) Dave's birthday is 11/2, and he loves New Orleans, and so we could celebrate it there! Well, yeah, that sucker is expensive - to the tune of at least $1k (driving or flying).

Dave said later that night that he would have something sweet for me the next day. So the next day, I'm all bouncy and cheerful (despite my lasting depression). When I got home, Dave told me we would be going on a vacation....camping! Lord, I have never been legit camping. Sometimes I do well in the outdoors, a lot of times I don't. I am a mosquito magnet - which is my primary, almost singular, beef. I was outside for maybe 5 minutes a few nights ago and got no less than 5 bug bites on my legs! Give me a freaking break. I think I may have camped outside in the backyard when I was younger, but really that doesn't count. So camping for 3 days, 4 nights, should be interesting to say the least. It's at the Four Quarters InterFaith Sanctuary in south-central Pennsylvania. Dave has been there many times before and loves it - so removed from everything, beautiful, and tranquil. He started thinking about it when I was first investigating Buddhism. Also, it's cheap, and not terribly far away. Still - cooking over a campfire? I'm concerned about what I'll be eating, and especially getting my fluids in, but I just discovered that they have water pipes/"water buffalos", so that should be good. Also, thankfully, they have toilets and showers. If they didn't, I might have put the kibosh on the whole plan. Especially with the possible unreliability of my stomach... I don't want to have to worry about pooping in excess in the woods :'(.

But! It should still be exciting. It will definitely be a new experience. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment