Monday, April 8, 2013

First juicing and smoothie!

This past weekend, I did my first run with making a smoothie and juicer. (I've probably made smoothies before, but not in a healthful way.)

My smoothie was this:

  • 1 cup strawberries
  • 1 cup raspberries
  • 1/2 cup pineapple juice
  • 1 cup low-fat natural yogurt (I used vanilla)
  • 3-5 ice cubes
(recipe courtesy of Juicer Recipes Pro: http://juicerrecipespro.com/smoothies/low-fat-smoothie-recipes.html)

My juice was this:

  • 1/2 large pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into cubes
  • 1 cup strawberries
  • 1 pear
  • 30 mint leaves
(recipe courtesy of Williams-Sonoma: http://blog.williams-sonoma.com/30-days-of-juicing/)

Dave made the smoothie, and I made the juice. We only ended up making one substitution - instead of fresh raspberries, we used frozen. Neither are cheap, but I already had frozen raspberries.

While I would like to juice a meal every day, I need to do it the night before. Making the juice with the pineapple, while delicious and filling, was very time consuming. (Mainly because of cutting up the pineapple.) So I definitely wasn't going to be doing it this morning, when I barely was able to drag myself out of bed.

That being said, Dave is very supportive in more ways than one: he was willing to test out a slightly weirder smoothie, made with peanut butter and strawberries (to resemble a PB&J). He is willing to clean all the parts of everything. I think he was surprised with how filling both the smoothie and the juice were - as am I - so much so that it was easy to see how that could fill a whole meal. Hopefully this optimistic attitude will stay with me through the juicing as I start to go greener with kale, spinach, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment