Friday, April 12, 2013

Frustration!

So, I just called my union to discuss taking advantage of their sick leave bank donation.

Sick leave bank: if you are a member of my union, you may elect to donate some of your sick leave time to the "sick bank", where other employees in the union can request it for time off when they have run out of leave time. When "open enrollment" for that was taking place, I circled "no" - I never have any time to donate, so how would I even be able to participate? (One of the stipulations is that you have to donate a day in order to participate.) I never have any sick leave time because I am always going to doctor's appointments! Aren't these kind of people the ones who need it most?

Anyway.

I just got off the phone with the union. Because I did not select to enroll, I can't take advantage of it. I asked if I could appeal, and I was redirected to leave a voicemail with a supervisor (I guess). I know there is an application and a review panel that goes over it, but I don't even know if I will be eligible to even fill out the damn application.

This complicates matters extremely. While I think I have a good reason for requesting it, and needing it, I don't know if they will see it that way. The donation of sick time has always been very confusing. I did not know that you can participate if you can't donate - I thought that was one of the stipulations. And maybe I'm wrong? Maybe you can't participate. I tried to relay my confusion in the message as well....

If I cannot make use of the sick bank, then I will not be able to do my surgery, unless I win the lottery. I will have to postpone it indefinitely... It will take me over a year to accrue that much leave time, and that's with combining all types I get (sick, vacation, personal). In that year, I could lose a lot of weight, with a 50/50 chance of actually keeping it off. In that time, my BMI would drop and I would not be eligible for the surgery anyway.

ARGH.

I do not have enough money (or any money) saved up to pay for all my bills for the 3-4 week recuperation period after the surgery. Bills for rent, utilities, cell phone, internet, credit cards, student loans, insurance, credit monitoring, medications, doctor appointments, food, gas, etc........... It's a long ass laundry list for someone who can barely keep afloat as it is. And to have to pay all that, and no salary? It's not possible.

So, I don't know what I'm going to do. Hopefully I will hear back from this union rep on Monday, and see what my options are from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment