Monday, May 13, 2013

Progress!

So, I had my appointment with the cardiologist last week so I could get cardiac clearance for the surgery.. Of course I am totally fine, and the first EKG was a false read. (I know I don't have heart problems, and he did the full run down, and said my heart was very healthy, etc.) So I made sure the results would get sent over to the COMP office (Comprehensive Obesity Management Program), so I could get my appointment scheduled with the surgeon... I have been going round and round trying to get these referrals and get this appointment which would have been completely unnecessary had my primary care doctor just agreed to do a comparison and sign-off on my heart being healthy and happy.

ANYHOO.

I had to wait to hear back. After they got the paperwork, the nurse still had to evaluate it. Then the waiting game, or, well really, waiting beside the phone.

I got the call from the nurse Friday that my EKG is fine, and that the only thing I still needed (loooord) was a letter written from my therapist saying that I'm under her care. This is because in my psychological clearance exam, the doctor wrote that I should continue seeing my therapist (which I had actually taken a break from, since I couldn't afford to go to the appointments during her office hours without a severe impact on my pay). I already had an appointment with her, but it was the later in the day after the surgeon appointment would be...so I bumped that up. But, I have a date with the surgeon! Now, not actually a surgery date, just an appointment with the surgeon and the woman who takes care of the financials to schedule a tentative surgery date and submit my packet of documentation to the insurance company. Then they allow 30-45 days to process it, so I think I'm looking at a possible June or July surgery date.

I am so, so, so glad that I finally got that appointment scheduled....It's about friggin time. However, now the real terror sets in. I am really scared. I wasn't sure what I was scared about - I took a step back and tried to analyze it. It's not the surgery itself - I am actually not that scared of being in the hospital, since (A) the COMP group is located in GBMC and since I've had so much testing, I have been in the hospital very often lately, and (B) my ex had lymphoma, so I spent a lot of time with him in the hospital as well (and he being in my surgical circumstances obviously). I'm not scared of going under the knife because I'll be out.. I am always incredibly careful about following doctors' orders. So when they say only clear liquids for 48 hours beforehand? 10-freaking-4. I know that it's in my best interest to follow the rules.... I've always been a "good girl" like that.

I think what I am scared of is everything after. The vomiting (which won't necessarily happen, but is likely as I adjust to what my 'pouch' can handle). The teeny tiny amount of food I'll be able to have. For the first 48 hours after I get home (after being in the hospital for 2 days), I will still be on clear liquids, that I have to take in at 4 oz (1/2 cup) every 30 minutes, without a straw or gulping. I'm going to have a lot of gaseous pressure in my torso from the air (or whatever gas) is pumped into me to allow the laproscopic instruments maneuverability around all my organs - that could be incredibly painful - but I just need to get up and get moving, walking, jumping up and down, laying upside down in an arm chair or something...lol. I've seen some interesting tips on gastricsleeve.com. Then after that, it's such a strict regiment. I know I can follow it, though it will most likely be super expensive with buying so many protein supplements and other vitamins and nutritional add-ons. I'm just worried about what will happen if I mess up... What if my pouch were to rupture? Or more vomiting? I don't mind the not losing weight like zip-zap-zoom, if that's the cost of messing up, but I don't want to be incredibly unhealthy and feeling like I'm on my death bed. :C

Arrggghhhh. >_<

Talked to my family about it a bit more this weekend, hopefully my mom and/or dad and/or sister will come down and spend a weekend with me - though who knows. I am hoping I can get my surgery scheduled around July 4th, so I can take advantage of the holiday when factoring in my time off. However, my mom's 60th birthday is July 13th, and we are hoping to throw her a decent shindig, aaand I'm kind of the main party planner, so it might be a little nutzy. I could still have my surgery at the end of June, though, and then have a week or two of time off before the party, and still incorporate the holiday... All trying to get this planned out to straddle pay periods so I stay in pay status long enough to keep my health insurance! I am going to be as logical as I can be - no need to not have plans in place.

<3 All for now, it's long enough. Ciao~

No comments:

Post a Comment