Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Protein Powder/Drink Reviews

SO! Time for some reviews! It's been awhile, and I've been trying lots of stuff, so hopefully I can remember enough to do a goodly amount of reviewing. Also, I've been busy, so buckle your seatbelts.

Let me start off with my beverage this morning.

Jay Robb Whey Protein - Tropical Dreamsicle
(basic details per serving: 110 cal, 0g fat, 1g carb, 0g dietary fiber, 25g protein)
I picked this up at Vitamin Shoppe (which I pronounce vitamin shop-ee of course) on Monday, and decided to try it this morning. It's very low in calories and thus pretty comparable to the Isopure protein waters. Honestly, I think this is pretty tasty! It kind of has an orange creamsicle plus pineapple. I am still kind of sketchy on fruit-based protein drinks, mainly "clear" ones, ever since my first experience with Nectar (to be reviewed immediately following this one). However, I think I would consider buying more of this and trying more flavors, since it mixed well, tastes good, and is cheaper than Isopure.



Syntrax Nectar - Pink Grapefruit
(basic details: 150 cal, 0g fat, 0g carb, 0g dietary fiber, 36g protein)
This was the first protein powder I tried. And it didn't go so well. I don't know if I didn't mix it properly (it was clumpy), the flavor was not good, and it definitely had that gritty taste. If I were to try this again, I would of course use my newer method for mixing protein powders (put in jug, shake the hell out of it), but probably add it to like pineapple juice or something. Stand alone, I won't be having it again. But a lot of people swear by this brand, so I may not be able to shove them off my plate completely... It might be worth another go-round.





Max Protein from GreatProtein.Com - Vanilla (no image available)
(basic details: 126 cal, 2g fat, 5g carbs, 0g dietary fiber, 22g protein)
I picked this up on a recommendation on the gastricsleeve.com forums. I ordered the three samples - strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla, and when the package arrived, as soon as I opened it the smell of the vanilla was so powerful and delicious I couldn't resist trying it asap. And it really was fantastic!! The flavor is wonderful, it tastes full bodied and mixes incredibly well. There's no grittiness, and it's hard not to gulp that sucker down. I can't wait to try the other two flavors, I loved this one so much!

CytoSport Monster Milk - Chocolate Mint
(basic details (per bottle): 320 cal, 9g fat, 14g carbs, 5g dietary fiber, 45g protein)
So, this was delicious. I was a tad concerned when I picked it up because I love chocolate mint flavor...It's one of my absolute favorites. So I was like, "Nooo, what if it sucks and makes me dislike that flavor?! My FAVORITE FLAVOR?!" Well, thank goodness, it was tasty as all get out. And it kept me full for an incredibly long amount of time Granted, it's big - 20 oz - and most of the protein powders I take in are in 8-10 oz of water. But this was truly delicious, and kind of a treat. (Another goodie from Vitamin Shoppe.) Also, higher calories - but one of these would last me all day when I'm working through the full liquid phase. Dave also tried the banana creme flavor, and LOVED it. He is skeptical of all the protein powders and beverages, but he said he liked it so much he could drink it every day. Sooo, clearly a hit on a few levels.


Nutrology Tripact Protein - Chocolate Milkshake
(basic details: 130g cal, 1.5g fat, 4g carbs, 1g dietary fiber, 25g protein)
So, this is the first one I've actually bought a big jug of. I was skeptical.... I didn't want to commit... But I kinda sorta got the hard sell at GNC when I was there. However, it's great. And I was thinking about returning it if Dave wasn't in on it at all, but he likes it well enough. It dissolves well, doesn't leave a weird coating on my teeth, has low "stats" in all the right places, and I feel like I could drink it every day... The cost in the end is much cheaper than purchasing Special K shakes. So I am being dedicated to drinking this, and dedicated to my jug!



New Whey Liquid Protein - Fruit Punch
(basic details: 180 cal, 0g fat, 2g carbs, ?g dietary fiber, 42g protein)
So, I picked up this tube on a lark - things with this kind of packaging design make me wary as all get out. However, it's kind of like a shot of protein - whether you want to think of a shot like a needle or a drink. However, I think "liquid" is kind of a loose definition - it's more like syrup. Tasty, kind of medicinal, but syrupy to the max. It's good to get down, and I could drink this for one portion in my meals (though who knows exactly if it's clear or full liquid?), to bolster my protein if I'm not getting enough. However, I picked up another bottle (different flavor) to run it by nutritionist to see what she thinks. It might be over-engineered and bad for my system, so I don't want this little guy to be too good to be true.


GNC 'Total Lean' Lean Shake 25 - Rich Chocolate
(basic details: 200 cal, 3g fat, 17g carbs, 8g dietary fiber, 25g protein)
This little guy was tasty too! A GNC proprietary brand, so a bit of an up-sell as usual. It's part of a full program, so that's something I'm not a huge fan of - but so are all the Atkins products, and they're recommended by my nutritionist, as well as South Beach, Weight Watchers, and some others. The thing I like best about this one is that it has high dietary fiber. Since I know constipation is a common problem with those who've undergone a gastric sleeve procedure (and possibly any bariatric surgery, though I couldn't say for sure), having more fiber is better, definitely, definitely. I may pick up some more of these, but I don't think it will be my go-to because of the "above average" carbs and fat (compared to the previous ones).

No comments:

Post a Comment