Friday, May 3, 2013

Soft Chews Reviews


So let's start off with the major reason for this post:

I really hate swallowing large pills, also known as "horse pills" in my world.

Vitamins and supplements are generally in that form all the time. SO! I pretty much do everything I can to find pills/caplets/tablets/etc that are small, or chewable! Therefore, I have acquired a good deal of experience.

In addition, I went to GNC today to find out some new info on other protein, and they had a goodly amount of soft chew samples! So naturally I took one of each. I don't have a ton of information to review them, other than ranking them in order of flavor, and a little research into their benefits through the website.


 So, the ones I tried were Garden Greens Lychee-Mango Super Fruit Chew, GNC Women's Ultra Mega Soft Chew Multivitamin - Mixed Berry, and GNC WELLbeING be-Beautiful Hair-Skin-Nails. (I can't believe the absurd length of some of these names...) The first one I tried was the Lychee Mango, and it was definitely my favorite. It was a bit gooey and sticking to my fingers, but that annoyance was only very minor. Here's a quick n' dirty description from the website - 


"The Lychee fruit originates in Southern China and the name Lychee is derived from the Chinese word "lee chee" meaning "one who gives the pleasure of life". The mango fruit is a tree native to West Africa. The fiber from mango helps to reduce cholesterol and boost energy. Garden Greens™ Lychee-Mango contains no cholesterol, virtually no fat and low in sodium. Lychee and mango help the body to digest food properly for the best nutrition and an added boost of health to promote weight loss."

Overall, it doesn't seem like it's got oodles of nutritional value, but it might be a nice thing to supplement someone's weight loss. Not for me at the moment, though. And, truly, none of the ones I sampled today would be ones I continue taking, due to their cost and availability.


My middle favorite was the Ultra Mega. The flavor was good - kind of like a perfect fake grape flavor. Its consistency was pretty good, and I enjoyed it. If I was in the market for a new multi-vitamin, this would most definitely be a consideration. Also, it is definitely CHOCK FULL of vitamins, now that I investigate it more, so I think it is actually a strong competitor for my regular multivitamin I take (just regular centrum chewables, orange flavor). Kind of as a nice bonus, it had the least calories of the two (though, generally, they are kind of negligible), and slightly more importantly, had protein! So good on ya for that, GNC W.U.M.S.C.M. (wum scum? that's an awful acronym)

My least favorite was the be-Beautiful. The taste was so-so, but the consistency was not pleasant - kind of gritty. For what I would take this for (the biotin, which is definitely strongly on my radar), the biotin is such a small amount that I'm not impressed at all. Nice try - would definitely sell to people not doing their homework. 








In addition to the ones I tried, I am already taking Viactiv Calcium Supplement Soft Chews (Milk Chocolate) and VitaFusion Fiber Well Gummies for Weight Management (Peach, Strawberry, Berry).  The Viactiv chews smell kind of awful as all get-out in the actual container. But when you unwrap them, they're kind of taste like a little tootsie roll! So it's almost a treat. 

The Fiber Well Gummies are pretty good as well, though definitely not a ton of fiber - 5g is kind of small potatoes. But, what the hey, why not add a supplement in there as well, right? Also, I take them at the same time I take my Centrum Chewable in the morning, which is sour and gritty, so they go down well together. These gummies are definitely very chewy, you'll be working on them for a bit after you pop them in your mouth. They taste good but not awesome. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy them again, but it's not for the flavor reason - it's for it being a kind of minimal amount of fiber for the price.


Soon to come: Isopure Protein Water Reviews, Protein Bar reviews, etc!

No comments:

Post a Comment