Monday, May 20, 2013

Second Guessing

I have been kind of second-guessing myself lately. I went into GNC on Saturday to make use of the coupon I got for signing up for their GNC Gold Card Member, intending to just pick up a goodly amount of Isopure waters. Well, being the only person in the store (as usual), I got the full attention and selling of the store associate and the manager. In short, they ended up selling me a jug of their Tripact, since they originally lured me in with free samples to boot. As I was finishing up my purchase (waaayyy more money than I was willing to commit to, hence the "selling"), the manager was talking to me at length about bariatric surgery and lifestyle changes. (When I had come in, they asked if I was shopping for products for bariatric surgery - I guess I don't look like much of a muscle builder, huh? lolz~... though I could have been there just for nutritional supplements.) If I was able to maintain a better diet and lifestyle, in a few months I would see the changes I would get from surgery and not need it.

I have indeed thought about the fact that since I am doing so much for the surgery, and learning so much more about what healthy eating habits *ought* to be, that if I'm willing to commit to this lifestyle because of the surgery, why can't I just commit to the lifestyle without losing 80% of my stomach?

I also got the same kind of spiel from my coworker this morning... God didn't intend for us to all be the same [small] size, or to alter ourselves with surgery. But God didn't intend for us to all be having over-manufactured foods, full of preservatives, hormones, high fructose corn syrup, unhealthy food being cheaper and easier than healthy food... More than a third of Americans are obese. And I'm on the morbidly obese level... There are people with less weight than I "going under the knife" so to speak. If I have no obesity-related co-morbidities, is this just cosmetic? Because I "wear my weight well", it doesn't mean that I'm any less obese than someone who 'looks' fat. I think of it was a reactive and preventative measure that I should take, but with so much opposition, I wonder if I'm making the wrong decision.

Torn, troubled, confused and frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment